By Amy Lawrenson
By Amy Lawrenson
It's here, again, the first day back at work after the festive holidays. I feel a bit shell-shocked which I put down to the fact that I did nothing except eat, drink alcohol and sleep for the past two weeks. I slept so much I've actually come back to work with back ache and some sort of mild form of agoraphobia (a fear of crowds that I'm sure will subside after a few journeys crammed like a sardine in a tube carriage).
To prevent inevitable lulls (where our afternoon naps would have neatly slotted) we are taking seven-pronged approaches (no, it's not too drastic).
These are the products that sit on our desks year-round, but are most needed today...
Amy Lawrenson, Senior Beauty Writer
1) Liquid Chlorophyll, £9.16, is a good antioxidant and tastes minty fresh when added to water.
2) Emergen-C sachets, 99p at Holland & Barrett, give a boost of energy.
3) Aromatherapy Associates Support Breathe Essence, £16.50, an antimicrobial blend of oils that helps clear my mind.
4) Murine Bright & Moist Eyes, £4.59 at Boots, after late nights and lay-ins galore I couldn't get to sleep last night and was rudely awakened by my alarm, this brightens and soothes tired eyes.
5) Nivea Lip Butter, £1.25 at Superdrug, this little pot sits on my desk whenever my lips feel dry or chapped.
6) Creme de la Mer The Mist, £50, okay this is pricey but when my skin feels tight from the badly circulated office air, this is a welcome relief!
Sophie Beresiner, Beauty Director
1) Models Own 4 Way Nail Buffer, £3.50 at Boots. December wedding gels = ruined January nails. Buffing at my desk is a necessity.
2) Berocca, £4. Natural source of vitamins - aka the Juicer - has been relegated to back of cupboard in favour of a quick Costa Coffee since November
3) Dior Addict Nail Glow, £18. As if a rosy tint can make ravaged nails look refreshed and healthy…Oh, wait, it actually does! (Exclusive to Selfridges from Jan 4th)
4) Dior Diorshow New Look Mascara in Blue 264, £23 at Harrods. Oldest eye trick in the book – blue anything equals whiter eyes.
5) La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Soothing Repairing Balm, £15.50 at Boots. For hands, lips, elbows, eyelids (central heating is not my friend), cat scratches, new shoe burn.
6) Diptyque Eau Rose 20ml Roll On, £30 at Selfridges. The purest scent of a long forgotten and hotly anticipated summer.
7) Bach Rescue Remedy Spray, £9.65 at Boots. The classic favourite that gets me through wedding nerves, first day in the office, or a quick spritz on my 5:2 diet fast day to fool me into thinking I’ve tasted something.
Joely Walker, Beauty Assistant
1) Imedeen Hair & Nails, £23.49. After a winter of neglect and shellac I’m giving my nails a well deserved rest. I’m hoping these supplements will make my nails and lack lustre locks look healthier by the spring.
2) Nordic Naturals Complete Omega -3.6.9.D, £16.59. Not one but four types of Omega – needed to improve my levels of concentration after a lazy Christmas break.
3) MAC Studio Fix pressed powder, £20.50. Excessive cheese eating and red wine drinking has lead to breakouts. This powder covers all.
4) Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in roomiest rose, £16. The perfect winter lippy – leaves my lips feeling super soft and the berry shade perks up my complexion.
5) Nuxe Reve de Miel hand and nail cream, £9.50. Hand cream is my deskside staple and I apply it religiously. This one is extra soothing for my dried-out, winter hands.
6) La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water, £7.50. Keeping my skin hydrated with this refreshing spray.
7) Comme des Garcons Amazing Green EDP, £57 50ml. This unisex fragrance is a beauty team favourite and the perfect pick-me-up.
Shannon Peter, Beauty Intern
1) Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Unscented Hand Cream, £2.49 is my hand hero at this time of year, keeping my fingers, cuticles and palms looking and feeling super soft.
2) Harvey Nichols Earl Grey Tea Bags, £4.95 for 50 provide a quick afternoon shot of caffeine to see me through until the end of the day.
3) Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat, £25. Ten days of lounging around, gorging on cheese and chocolate and opening lovely gifts is (believe it or not) exhausting work, but this miracle-worker is all it takes to hide those tired eyes.
4) Tangle Teezer Compact Leopard Print Styler, £12.49. Saving me from my usual knotty nightmare of a head of hair, my tangle teezer travels everywhere with me.
5) Rimmel Kate Matte Lipstick in 110, £5.49. It may be a bleary January afternoon, but a quick slick of this bright coral and I’m quickly reminded of hot summer days spent on Mediterranean beaches.
6) Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hairspray, £5.50. This unpredictable weather can cause havoc with my hair, so I always keep a trusty can of hairspray to hand to protect and perfect my style.