For my Christmas party makeover, I went on a quest to find the epitome of festive sophistication the perfect red lip. With a history creating some of the most iconic red-lipped makeup looks for the Chanel, Giambattista Valli and Fendi catwalks, it was Dutch makeup artist, Ellis Faas, that I called on for help.
Using her own collection of make-up (available to buy from Liberty from February 2010) Ellis set about giving me a flawless, sultry look. Heres her step-by-step guide
1. Starting with your base, lightly brush Skin Veil Foundation (my shade is S103 pale but with added warmth) into the skin, making sure to apply it to just to the areas that really need it (such as the T-zone) to avoid a cakey base.
2. Then, using a brightening concealer (Ellis used shade S203 on me) apply to both your under-eye area and any blemishes to even out skin tone. Its vital to apply your concealer after foundation to get the most even and flawless coverage possible, says Ellis.
3. Finish off your base with a light dusting of powder (in mattifying translucent S402) over your T-zone before lightly blending in a soft golden bronze blush (S303) into the apples of your cheeks. A tip from Ellis: apply your bronzer as high up on the cheek as you can, so that when you smile it sits centrally on the apple.
4. When it comes to eyes, a more interesting alternative to brown is a terracotta orange which, Ellis advises, is surprisingly flattering on most skin tones and will complement my hazel green eyes. Using the Milky Eyes shadow in E207, gradually build up the intensity of colour over your eyelid (up to your socket line), before using your fingers to lightly buff and soften the edges.
5. For drama and definition, add a thick feline flick across the upper lash line using Creamy Eyes E103. Starting at the inner corner of the upper eyelid, draw a black line across the whole eyelid (gradually getting thicker as you get towards the outer edge) and extend out into a tapered flick. For even more definition, thinly rim the lower lash line. Next soften the liner by blending the edges with your fingers. Finish the eyes with a coating of mascara.
6. When it comes to lips, a deep, blood-red shade will flatter and hold the look whilst offering a flawless sophistication. Using Milky Lips in L201, apply the creamy colour across the whole lip, layering up to create a rich, creamy colour with a strong line around the lip.