(Marc Jacobs dress, Valentino wedge, Ferregamo bag, Calvin Klein sunglasses)
(All photos by Stephanie Sian Smith)
Our What ELLE Wears gallery is one of the most popular pages on the ELLE website. You love to see what a fashion magazine team wears to work on a weekly basis throughout the seasons (and how they style themselves).
Our November issue of ELLE magazine is a tribute to the kind of street-style photography we champion. From senior fashion editor Natalie Wansbrough-Joness refined sense of designer style to online fashion assistant Alice Watts incredibly simple but very cool paired-down look, we feature the full ELLE team at some point in the weekly gallery and regularly in the magazine.
Anne Marie Curtis, Fashion Director
Working at a fashion magazine is not, contrary to popular opinion, like being on the catwalk every day, but you need to love clothes and have a strong sense of the persona you project with your style.
When I hire members of the fashion team or fashion interns, I make sure they all have a different style vision so that it is reflected on ELLEUK.com and in the pages of ELLE magazine. I ask them to do a moodboard that shows what they like and sums up the way they dress. When you do this it becomes clear who is bringing what to the magazine (and its really worth doing yourself before you go new-season shopping).
This week were conducting a style experiment and asking you whos your style crush at ELLE. Vote for the editor, assistant or intern you think has nailed the look you like best and well ask them to explain how they styled their look in the November issue of ELLE.
The key thing to remember is that there isnt a right way of dressing. There are no rules. Wear what gives you confidence and makes you different from anyone else. At ELLE we say its not about the dress, its about the woman in the dress (Tom Ford told me that!).
Alice Parfrement, Acting Assistant to the Editor in Chief/Editorial Assistant
If you want to be a street-style photographer, take some tips from What ELLE Wears photographer Stephanie Sian Smith:
1. Go with your instincts and seize the moment. When you see someone or something that looks great, capture it that instant. Youll regret it if you dont.
2. Look at the surroundings and make sure the subject is central.
3. Never shoot in direct sunlight it only works in certain situations.
4. Make it fun. Play around with the shot and dont take yourself or the person youre shooting too seriously. If you make them comfortable and have a good time youll get a much better picture.
5. Always wear safety knickers! When shooting shoes and details, Im often lying on the ground.
Carrie Tyler, Online Editor
And, if youre being shot by a street-style photographer, heres Stephanie Sian Smiths tips on how to look good in front of the camera:
1. Stand up straight, hands by your side.
2. No posing its street style, not a catalogue shoot!
3. Try different things. For example refresh your face/stance/smile/dont smile.
4. A bit of movement is always nice.
5. Relax and enjoy yourself, fashion is about having fun!
Elizabeth Black, Fashion Assistant
Here's ELLE's top five Street Style blogs:
2. Jak & Jil
3. Face Hunter
4. Tommy Ton
This McQueen cuff delicately touches on the goth trend
Smooth this Roland Mouret for Aromatherapy Associates skin serum onto cheeks for a highlighted effect. It's a great illuminator and is perfect on bare legs teamed with a summer dress
Looking for something a bit different? These are the answer!
Tom Ford. Snakeskin. Need I say more?
Today the Editor is:
Trying to decide which statement T-shirt to buy
Listening to Purity Ring