New Years Eve, the biggest party night of the year is looming and as a singleton youre probably, like us, approaching it with a mixture of dread and excitement. Lets face it, this is the night we all love to hate.
Before you reach for your pint of gin and dancing shoes (in that order) have a look at our simple guide to flying solo at NYE.
1. Manage your expectations. Yes we know, what a boring thing to say but its true! NYE is a night out like any other. This is not a Cinderella deal yes you might lose a shoe but if you dont find your Prince Charming by the end of the night it doesnt mean youre destined to a life of celibacy.
2. Choose your party plans wisely. With the above in mind, maybe the intimate dinner party held by your coupled up friends isnt the best way to see in the night for a single gal about town. If not with your besties, aim for a mixed group of friends (coupled or not) that are out and about, or maybe another single mate to head out with theres no pressure to pull but youre not ruling out meeting someone new either.
3. Put your phone away! Not to be accused of phubbing (yeah you heard it here first), we all know that after a few sweet ales the temptation to text the ex or worse, tell the whole of Twitter what you really think of them is a modern-day affliction that happens to us all. Thankfully like most things, theres an app for that. To avoid the dreaded fear the next day you can use Drunk Text Saviour or Drunk Text Blocker (the Oops! App). Use of one of these apps, alongside a pinch of discretion, should save your hungover blushes.
4. Dont peak too soon. We love our gin and fizz as much as the next girl but you dont want to be throwing up in the loo come 11 oclock and getting teary at midnight because youve had too much wine. Pace yourself, eat before you go out and keep an eye on your drinks. Yes we sound like your mother but you can never be too careful!
5. Be Bold. If you do see a hottie at the bar, go over and say hello. It really is as simple as that. Its either that, or strategically plant yourself very near to them come countdown and make sure when that midnight moment arrives youre in kissing distance.
6. Last but not least: ENJOY! NYE is a great excuse for a good night out with your friends. Think about all the wonderful things you can do in 2014, and all the great things youve achieved this year. Put the last year to bed and see in the New Year feeling positive. Being single can be pretty awesome so enjoy your night and more importantly, HAPPY NEW YEAR!