The French fashion editor and stylist Carine Roitfeld never puts a stylish foot wrong. And she's not the only one. We think there must be something in the water in France that makes those Parisian women so darn stylish. Short of moving to the French capital, here are six steps to putting a little more 'je ne sais quoi' into your step.
1. Don’t look like you’ve tried to hard. If there’s one thing the French do well it’s looking like they don’t give a damn.
2. Don’t be a slave to trends. Know your signature style and stay true to it, adding a carefully selected edit each season. You’ll never see Carine in anything but her trademark pieces.
3. Get ready, then mess things up a bit. Carine’s messy hair and smudgy, black eye make-up is the key to her look. Think undone polished. See step 1.
4. A classic shirt is your best friend – find a style you love and buy one in every colour. Or do as Carine did and have you husband launch his own line of luxury everyday shirts, Equipment.
5. Stick to what suits you. Carine knows her legs are her best feature and accentuates them with tight pencil skirts and leather trousers. Pick your best feature and work to your strengths.
6. Don’t be boring – classic doesn’t have to mean bland. Add a twist to simple separates with a statement coat or conversational handbag.