1. Pretty Woman is actually a Disney movie. Weird. (The Cinder-f*ckin'-rella reference means so much more now).
2. It was originally going to be called $3000, after the amount of money Edward and Vivian agree on.
3. Sandra Bullock, Meg Ryan, Madonna, Kristin Davis, Sarah Jessica Parker and Drew Barrymore were all reportedly among the actresses who were considered for the role of Vivian.
4. That famous Pretty Woman poster is actually Julia Roberts's head superimposed onto her body double's (Shelley Michelle) body. Also Richard Gere's hair is black, when it's grey in the film.
5. It was initially created as a dark drama about prostitution in LA and Vivian was going to be addicted to drugs. Her staying off cocaine for a week would have been part of the deal and the film would have ended with Edward throwing Vivian out of the car and Vivian getting the bus to Disneyland with the money she's earned. Cheery.
6. Pretty Woman was the first film Hank Azaria had lines in. He later went on to play Phoebe's scientist boyfriend David in Friends!
7. You can actually enjoy a Pretty Woman 'experience' The Beverly Wilshire. If you've got a spare $100,000.
8. Edward snapping the necklace case down on Vivian's fingers like it is biting her was improvised by Richard Gere.
9. Oh and the necklace was actually really expensive IRL. It cost $250,000 and came with an armed guard.
10. The iconic red opera dress was almost a less impressive black. The studio wanted black, but costume designer Marilyn Vance knew it needed to be red. After a lengthy process involving three different creations and multiple test shots, Marilyn rightly won the battle. Hurrah!
11. Plus, the opera they see is La Traviata, which is about a prostitute who falls in love with a wealthy man.
12. John Travolta reportedly auditioned for the part of Edward and Sylvester Stallone is said to have turned down the part. Christopher Reeve, Denzel Washington and Daniel Day-Lewis were also considered.
13. Richard Gere basically thought his character was dull AF when he originally read the script and said: "How would you know? It was a silly little script, and when it came to me, the part was a suit. It was like put someone in the suit, basically."
14. The bloopers are actually LOL and feature Julia and Richard doing karaoke:
15. The scene where Julia Roberts is laughing at the black and white comedy on TV (you know, right before she gives Edward a blow job), the director had to tickle her feet to get her to laugh.
16. When asked about the film glorifying prostitution, Julia told The Guardian: "What are you going to do? You can't please everybody. That movie was a fairytale. We did everything but put a glass slipper on. And I'll tell you something else: for $3,000 a weekend, Richard Gere got a bargain."
17. Julia Roberts got SO nervous about the sex scenes that she not only broke out in hives, but a vein popped out on her forehead, which had to be massaged away by Richard Gere and director Garry Marshall. Sexual.
18. Richard Gere is ACTUALLY playing the piano in the piano scene and composed the piece of music he's playing. (But the sex bit was fake, obvs).
19. Speaking of piano, an official Broadway musical of the film is currently in the works, with director Gary Marshall telling Deadline: "We've had a couple of little readings of it with temporary music, and it's not bad."
20. The deleted scenes are AMAZING. They include Vivian putting packet ketchup on her posh steak meal, a romantic sunset horse ride and a whole bit where Edward nearly gets into a fight with a gang trying to take drug money from Vivian. OOH:
Originally written by Claire Hodgson for Cosmopolitan