Didnt land yourself a spot at our exclusive Selfridges denim party tonight? Never fear weve come up with a way for you to get in on the action at home.
As part of tonights festivities, Sew Over Its Lisa Comfort will be on hand to customise new purchases to make them truly unique. And, for those who cant be there, shes shared her DIY masterclass exclusively with ELLE.
Sew Over It does custom denim
1. Try to use fabrics with different patterns, textures and thicknesses. This is a great project for small scraps of fabric.
2. Cut the patches out using pinking sheers this prevents the fabric from fraying. It looks best if each patch is a different size (and remember, they don't have to be square).
3. Position them on the jeans and pin in place.
4. Take a needle and thread that matches the patch fabric and start stitching little overstitches around the edge of the patch. Remember to knot the thread at the beginning and knot off at the end to stop the stitching from unravelling.
5. For waistband trimming, cut a length with a little extra so you can tuck the ends in. Pin in place and then secure with a backstitch along the centre of the trimming.
6. Voila! Unique jeans that no one else will have.
Sew Over It runs sewing classes in everything from customising to making Mad Men dresses from their cute sewing café London. They will be at Selfridges Denim Studio every Friday and Saturday until 17 August running free customising demos and services. sewoverit.co.uk