And while we're not quite ready to ditch our shoulder pads completely yet, we can't help but find ourselves intoxicated by spring's new mood.
Autumn 2009's hard edges are blurring as a softer more romantic look emerges for 2010. Chiffon, tulle and feather-light fabrics have been seen everywhere on the catwalks already, from London's edgiest designers like Marios Schwab and Meadham Kirchoff to the fashion power houses of Fendi and Gianfranco Ferre in Milan. And while there is still a definite edge to fashion's mood for the new season (gladiator spikey sandals are here to stay, prints are still techno and futuristic and strong shoulders now sit with exaggerated hips), autumn's fashion warrior is set to emerge - butterfly like - and float into spring.
Channel a little bit of next season now with these top five tips to take you through autumn and straight in to spring.
- Feather-light and sheer fabrics were all over the catwalks for spring 2010. Wear chiffon tops under your sharp-shouldered blazers to get the look now.
- Nude and flesh tones were big news, invest in springs hottest new shades early.
- American sportswear had a huge influence on the New York shows: buy grey-marl jersey pieces on the high street now.
- Futuristic and techno prints were at the tougher end of summer's style spectrum, but work perfectly with autumn's lean silhouettes and tough boots.
- Boudoir touches will be a big trend next season so seek out bra tops or anything with exposed lingerie details.