‘I hate the whole concept of comfort! It’s like when people say, “Well, we're not really in love, but we're in a comfortable relationship.” You're abandoning a lot of ideas when you are too into comfort. “Comfy”—that’s one of the worst words! I just picture a woman feeling bad, with a big bottle of alcohol, really puffy,’ he told writer Lauren Collins.
They may not win in the comfort stakes, but Louboutin says his shoes are perfect tools to encourage women to slow down and appreciate their surroundings. HIS surroundings include a Paris apartment containing a stuffed cougar (he calls it ‘Sweet Demi'), a chateau in rural France with extensive orchards, and an Egyptian houseboat on the Nile.
What else did we learn?
- --Louboutin sells more than 500,000 pairs of shoes a year.
- --‘There is a Louboutin manicure, in which the underside of the nail is painted with scarlet polish.’
- --Monsieur doesn’t see himself as a socialite designer: ‘I’ll do shoes for the lady who lunches, but it would be, like, a really nasty lunch, talking about men,’ he said.
- --He refers to his 420 employees as Loubi’s Angels.
- --Louboutin once named a shoe after a murderess; a police inspector contacted Louboutin after finding a business card from one of his stores in the woman’s handbag. Voila: shoe infamy.
He also once paved the soles on a custom pair of shoes in rubies, for a private client who owns a gem mine. Frankly, we’re happy enough with the plain-ol’ slick of red...