What does it mean to be a powerful woman? Unless you're Beyoncé you probably don't see the effects of your 'power' on the world every day...
But even if you don't have millions of Instagram followers and you're not running a FTSE 100 company you can still FEEL powerful. We all have our Beyoncé moments, those times when we just slay, okay? But some of us are better at harnessing our power more often than others. These are the 39 things powerful women do everyday. How many do you tick?
1. Never hits ‘snooze’ (except on Sundays)
2. Takes a boxing class before breakfast
3. Has a mean left-jab and right-hook
4. Always eats breakfast…
5. …And doesn’t count the calories (toast with cashew butter x 2 please, we've got a long day ahead)
6. Picks her clothes out the night before
7. But if the outfit doesn’t feel right, she changes (even if it makes her late)
8. Takes public transport graciously and without complaining or shouting ‘Can you move down the carriage please!’ She needs to conserve her emotional energy for the day ahead
9. Gets off the bus or tube a stop early to power walk the final mile to the office
10. Drinks an Americano with a dash of milk
11. Never orders a Frappucciono, chai latte or coconut milk Flat White
12. Only has one coffee and never after 3pm (unless it’s an Espresso Martini)
13. Always says ‘good morning’ to the receptionists
14. Does not ask colleagues ‘what did you get up to at the weekend?’ unless she really genuinely cares and has the time to sit and listen to the answer
15. Says ‘trust you had a good weekend’, instead
16. Is polite yet concise in emails
17. In fact - rarely emails at all. She prefers a face-to-face
18. Isn't afraid of a lick of red lipstick
19. Keeps meetings to a maximum 15 minutes and insists everyone stands up
20. Takes a one hour lunch break in which she goes to the gym, goes for a walk, meets a friend or meditates
21. Never apologises and never explains (unless a mistake is genuinely her fault in which case she both apologises and explains and then moves on). There’s no point dwelling on things
22. Offers to help if a colleague is struggling – but takes no for an answer if the offer is declined. Does not indulge office martyrs.
23. Is not afraid to ask for help herself
24. Gives credit where it’s due
25. Speaks up in meetings
26. Politely points out when she has been interrupted and would like to finish her sentence please
27. Is not intimidated by men in suits
28. Because her suits are even more intimidating
29. Says thank you
30. Never writes the words ‘Happy Hump Day’ on anything. EVER.
31. Does not take private calls in the office (no one needs to know she’s been waiting 3 weeks for her WiFi to be fixed)
32. Goes for work drinks and buys the first round. But never gets drunk or emotional and goes home before her team mates do
33. Is not loud or overbearing
34. Recognises that the quietest people are sometimes the most powerful
35. Writes lists
36. Gets immense satisfaction from crossing things off lists
37. Doesn’t care that she has a bitchy resting face
38. But always joins in on the joke
39. Unless the joke is on her in which case, you’re all fired!