1) We Are The Champions: The Intern Issue
2) Keira Knightley: The epitome of female
3) AW12 Fashion Forecast
4) We unite for Breast Cancer Awareness month
5) AFTER DARK: Vampiric beauty
6) WOMEN OF 2013
This month’s issue of ELLE celebrates the female. Founded in a post war era of the rebirth of women, ELLE embodies the strength of women as a sex in a male dominated society, and ultimately, their right to be informed through print media. ‘We Are The Champions’ introduces our ELLE intern winners’ strategy behind the issue, reinforced by our interview with Keira Knightley as an example of what women can achieve ahead of her role in ‘Anne Karenina’, released in November. Her feisty yet gentle portrayal of women in her work can be reflected in ELLE’s ‘AW12 Fashion Forecast’- think pure and simple alongside masculine ‘I will not be taken for granted’ shapes. As we constantly strive for positive recognition in female strength we continue to unite in aid of Breast Cancer Awareness month, and what better way to look to the future than to highlight the ‘Women of 2013’? Sporting stars, emerging political figures and bloggers set to take over the fashion agenda- women will shall not be reckoned with in 2013. ‘Si elle lit elle lit Elle’, and as she reads, she will ensure that ELLE continues to be a part of her female identity, indefinitely.
1.This is our year: The Graduates of 2012
2.Homecoming – Elle talks to Jil Sander about her return
3.The not-so-secret-anymore travel destinations to visit
4.The weird and the wonderful - beauty rituals
5.The Female Narrative – The women of our generation have broken social barriers but where are we heading and who will be next to break traditions?
6.Daydream Believers – is our constant connection with technology stifling our creativity?
To edit a magazine that I have coveted more than I have dreamt about owning the garments themselves would be an honour. Back home in the sea-side village that I grew up in, Elle magazine was my escape, a portal to the wonderful, magical world of fashion. With subscription covers plastered to my walls, I used to daydream about the life I wanted to lead whilst reading magazines from cover to cover, consuming every written word and corresponding image.
I believe I have what it takes to be the intern editor for Elle magazine, and prove to those that sniggered when the word fashion cropped up in the degree title I’m studying. Perseverance has brought me a long way geographically and mentally from my home town, and I hope it will take me even further.
Interning as editor would at the very least prove to my mother that my hoarding of Elle magazines under my bed and consequently my taking over the loft space was never in vain. No other women’s magazine comes close to Elle, it stays close to representing the real women whilst understanding that women can dream, and dream I do when picking up the latest edition of Elle.
I: CHILDREN OF THE REVOLUTION
It's Intern Takeover Time
II: DIAMONDS ARE A GIRLS BEST FRIEND
Let Your Jewellery Do The Talking
III: BOLD, BRASH AND BRITISH
Jessie J; It's Her Turn To Talk (Cover Star)
IV: ROYAL ECCENTRIC
Revamping The Queens Signature Style
V: BOND AMBITION
Daniel Craig Chats To Elle About Skyfall, Sex Scenes And All Things Bond.
VI: IRIDESCENT INDIA
Top 10 Hotspots In The Country Of Culture
THE EDITOR'S LETTER
If you have picked up this October Issue of Elle and thought there was perhaps something DIFFERENT, fresh, and unseen about it, then I applaud you on your attention to detail because the truth is there is something different. The reason? This issue has been entirely edited by the INTERNS! - the course of whom you can meet in Children of the Revolution on page 123.
In a year that has been all about CELEBRATING being British, one-woman stands unafraid to embody her inner BRAZEN Brit - Cover star and Pop sensation JESSIE J; fearless, fun and utterly FABULOUS she says it how it is in Bold, Brash and British on page 212.
From rocking a colour block suit in Royal Eccentric - page 156 or discovering how a statement necklace can make or break an outfit in Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend - page 170, this issue of ELLE is packed with FRESH fun features to make you SQUEAL
And so my work here is done and I leave you to explore this beacon of light for the next fashion hopefuls, because one thing is clear now, the future is bright; the future is fashion and the fun has only just begun…
ELLE: THE FUTURE ISSUE
1. The New Black (Beauty Feature: on trend dark lipsticks, with a glamorous halloween theme)
2. Fall Head Over Heels (Autumn Fashion Feature: footwear focus, image heavy)
3. Making History (Black History Month Feature: profiling old & new black role models for young women, including Michelle Obama, Issa Rae, Toni Morrison, Azealia Banks, Kelly Holmes, etc)
4. Bring up the Lights: Kirsten Stewart on life out of the Twilight. (Interview & Photoshoot: we ask Hollywood’s hottest what comes next after the trilogy)
5. Facebook? That’s SO 2011 (Technology Feature: Are we over Facebook? Sidebar: the new social media/our favourite social media: instagram, google+, twitter, tumblr, etc)
6. Your Future in Their Hands: Young women professionals on the rise (Tie-in with intern-edited issue feature, profiling young new doctors, politicians, scientists, economists etc who will be in positions of responsibility in the future)
...AND BECAUSE IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE BACK UP OPTIONS:
7. Future Fit (Fitness Feature: Mythbusting futuristic fitness trends)
8. White Rabbit Sydrome (Self-Improvement/Psychology Feature: Do you feel like you’re always running late? Experts in time management and making the most out of your working day)
9. Board the Mothership: Five Futuristic Homes (Interiors/Design Profile: eco-friendly and high-design futuristic dwellings. Sidebar: yours for the night – futuristic hotels.)
THE EDITOR'S LETTER:
Can you keep a SECRET?
If you can, we promise to take you somewhere really special in this issue. Because this issue, for one month only, is set in the FUTURE.
That’s right. We’ve invented TIME-TRAVEL.
Well, we haven’t invented time travel, if we’re honest, but we’ve got the next best thing. We’ve tapped up the TREND-SETTERS, analysed the ANALYSTS and pleaded with the POWERFUL to find out for you - not what’s hot right now – but what’s hot next.
We’ve cleared the way into A/W 2012 for you with FUTURE-READY fashion features on p. **. Forward facing Kirsten Stewart spills all about her plans after Twilight with us on pp. ***, while we move into another Black History Month by looking back on the best black role models for the NEXT GENERATION.
All this future focus is for good reason, because we know that Elle readers love to be FIRST. That’s why we’ve travelled all this way back in time, from our successful and glamorous future careers to make the tea and work the photocopier as your interns here in 2012.
So, come with us – take our hands – and we’ll give you a sneak peek of what’s to come.
We hope you like it as much as we do!