Two months ago, the Oxford Dictionary welcomed a plethora of new lexical entries to their historic pages.
Celebrating modern-day culture, experts at the helm of the dictionary added vernacular beauties such as 'cheeseball', 'clickbait', 'gender-fluid', 'moobs', 'vom' and 'YOLO' (You Only Live Once).
While some may think this to be a travesty to the English language, demonstrating a decline in society's appreciation of words, we quite like the expansion of our lingo.
After all, who doesn't chuckle or raise an eyebrow at the sound of 'moobs'? (If you don't, you really need to lighten up, pal).
In light of such linguistical freedom, we've rounded up some new words from Urban Dictionary (you know, that naughty, younger sibling of the Oxford Dictionary that defines slang words?) that we'd love to see enter academia and general day-to-day conversations:
- Hasbian: A former lesbian who is now in a heterosexual relationship.
- Roaching: A dog that lays on its back with all four legs in the air--like a dead cockroach--is commonly described as 'roaching'.
- Boyfriend Bomb: When a female you are interested in casually reveals that she has a boyfriend (intentionally or otherwise).
- Lady Boner: A slang term for when a woman is sexually attracted to a man or another woman.
- Designated Texter: A passenger who reads and replies to any and all text messages recieved on the drivers phone, thus allowing the driver to focus on the road and not hit anything or get pulled over for reckless driving.
- Expiration Date: To start a relationship that has a defined end date; e.g., one of the people is moving soon.
- Floordrobe: A form of storage for clothing which requires no hangers, drawers, doors or effort. Simply drop on the floor and you have a floordrobe.
- Hiberdating: Verb - Someone who ignores all their other friends when they are dating a boyfriend/girlfriend
- Ghost post: A comment on a Facebook item (e.g. status, note, etc) that was removed by the author due to A) misspelling, B) stupid remark, C) awkward input, or D) other.
- Four-wheeling: When your head bobs around when you're about to fall asleep when sitting upright. It is given this name because it looks like you're driving offroad.
- Mom-com: Romantic comedy or romcom specifically geared toward mums. Most mere mortals will not understand momcoms without a mum to translate the comedy for them.
- Accountabilabuddy: A friend, maybe a best friend, who you get into trouble with and who is somewhat responsible for your actions.
- Or The Terrorists Have Won: the best excuse to get what you want.
- T-Rex sex: T-Rex sex is a loud, passionate and savage encounter.
- Scrollaxing: To scroll through all of your personal email and social media on your couch or bean bag at the end of a hard day. You find this to be an effective way to decompress or chill.
- Stall Sniffle: The noise someone makes when they want to let you know they are in a bathroom stall
- Nonpology: An insincere apology or expression of regret, often blaming the aggrieved party for being offended or bringing up an irrelevant topic to distract.
- Selective D*ckism: When someone is only a d*ck to certain people
- Manterrupting: Manterrupting: a sexist display of male "dominance". A trait that has not yet been lost despite decades of evolution. When men interrupt women because they 'believe"' that what they have to say is somehow more important.
- NFI: No F*cking Idea
Language is life people. If we don't adapt and have fun with it, then we're just boring old farts.