Following DC Comics' recent news of Wonder Woman’s big screen makeover (see Gal Gadot in bronze leather set for 2017), and rumours that Cara Delevingne is being considered for the role of Harley Quinn (the Joker's accomplice) in Suicide Squad, Marvel too has now released its film roster for the next five years.
The big news is Marvel also has a female-led superhero blockbuster in the pipeline – an as yet uncast Captain Marvel, aka Carol Danvers - along with the first stand-alone film for a superhero of colour: Chadwick Boseman will play Black Panther in five upcoming films (he's currently Oscar-tipped for his portrayal of James Brown in Get On up).
Speaking of Oscar buzz, despite much speculation the brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch (stand-out star of The Imitation Game) has not been confirmed to star in Marvel’s Doctor Strange, which is not a definitive no - perhaps Cumberbatch is just playing hard to get, he's good at playing games you know, word games especially.
The full Marvel roster looks a little something like this…
- May 6 2016: Captain America: Civil War
- Nov 4 2016: Doctor Strange
- May 5 2017: Guardians of the Galaxy 2
- July 28 2017: Thor: Ragnarok
- Nov 3 2017: Black Panther
- May 4 2018: Avengers: Infinity War – Part I
- July 6 2018: Captain Marvel
- Nov 2 2018: Inhumans
- May 3 2019: Avengers: Infinity War – Part II