This Sunday, many of us will be treating our fathers to a new shirt, a nice bottle of Glenfiddich or some jazzy new socks. It’s that one day in the year that you can remind your dad just how brilliant and irreplaceable he is. Daniel Marks and Jack Dyson have taken this sentiment and sprinkled it throughout every day of the year with their charity, Father and Son Day.
Daniel and Jack are two friends who have both survived testicular cancer, and whose fathers before them have had cancer. After dealing first hand with hospitals, helplines and hospices, and knowing too many men suffer in silence rather than call on support; they set up the charity in 2014 to give a voice to men’s health issues, and to raise much-needed funds for cancer treatments at The Royal Marsden in London.
Every penny raised goes straight into funding two things at The Royal Marsden. Firstly, ‘Super Surgeon' fellowships - the first of their kind in the world – to provide funding to train the next generation of surgeons. Secondly, supporting teams of counselors who are trained specifically to help young men going through cancer.
While it’s inspired by Father and Son relationship, this brilliant project extends to all of the most important men in our lives: fathers, sons, boyfriends, husbands, friends, colleagues, etc. Here’s how you can get involved with this amazing organization:
1. Share a picture of you with your father, son, etc. on Instagram with @FatherandSonDay, #FatherandSonDay and #InspiringMen in the caption, wearing blue shirts if you can. Don’t forget to say why this person is so special to you.
2. Donate £5 by texting MARSDEN to 70800. All donations go straight to the Father & Son Day male cancer initiatives.
3. If you would like to give a little more, visit the Just Giving page.
4. From 18th June until 24th June, you can shop Father and Son Day Blue Shirts on www.mrporter.com – every penny of profit from the sales of these shirts comes straight to the charity.
5. Tell all your friends and encourage them to get involved too.