There are few people in the world who have figured out how to win at life, Helen Mirren is one of them. From relationship tips, to how to swear with dignity, we would be wise to take heed from the oracle that is Helen Mirren...
Here are 5 of the best nuggets of advice she served from an interview with the Mail on Sunday:
1. ‘I think marrying late is a very good idea – it worked out for me. In general, I’d say it’s not a great idea to marry young. And it’s a really terrible idea to get married for the frock.’
2. 'At 70 years old, if I could give my younger self one piece of advice, it would be to use the words ‘f*** off’ much more frequently.'
3. ‘It annoys me when I see men with an arm slung round their girlfriend’s shoulders. It’s like ownership. Of course, when you’re young, you want the guy to take your hand and look after you. But when I see girls being leaned on, I want to say, ‘Tell him to get his damned arm off your shoulder.’’
4. [On being a grandmother] ‘I’m not baking them cookies on weekends! I waft in and out, and I think they understand that I’m not the normal sort of grandmother. All I’d say to them is that ageing is an adventure.’
5. ‘Growing old is not for pussies – you’ve got to have courage. But then, you’ve got to have courage in life anyway.’
Somebody put these on t-shirts, stat! We need them in our lives. Oh, and who can forget her advice to Jimmy Fallon: