With a collective age of 285, the Rolling Stones have certainly seen their fair share of hedonism and hard living during their decades as the world’s most wild rock band. But, after a recent tour rider was released by TMZ, it seems like Mick Jagger and the gang still maintain some diva demands when they head out on tour.
- Each hotel they stay in keeps its bar open for as long as needed
- Blacked out windows
- Extra butlers
- After hours dry cleaning
- An unlimited supply of Marlboro Reds and Marlboro Lights.
- Written out instructions on how to use ALL the electronics in each room.
But the Stones are hardly the only musicians with a lavish taste for tour riders, here are some other bizarre and elaborate demands from the world of pop stardom.
He made his name as one half of brother and sister duo the White Stripes, but Jack White reached cult fame status when his, uhm, obscure list of demands for a show at the University of Oklahoma was leaked by the student paper. They included…
- No bananas (seriously) in the building
- Eight champagne flutes, eight wine glasses, and eight highball glasses, all of them 'real glass.'
- One pound of freshly sliced, high-quality prosciutto and aged salami with a sharp knife.
- No fluorescent lights in the artist and VIP areas.
- No photos of White inside or directly outside the venue.
- A New York strip steak, cooked medium, that needs to be made or picked up just before the show ends.
And, infamously, a personal recipe for homemade guacamole.
You might expect Jay Z to have some particularly diva-esque demands, and you'd be right, but the rap mogul also has a more thoughtful, paternal side beyond poppin' bottles. His latest rider includes...
- Hotel rooms must be exactly 71 degrees 21c) in temperature.
- Hotel staff must provide 3 Mayan tuberose-scented candles at about £60 each.
- No vacuuming near his room.
- Don't ask for concert tickets if you want to "avoid embarrassment."
- A bottle of Ace of Spades champagne needs to be provided, free of charge, because Jay Z owns the company.
- The entire suite must be childproofed with all corners, sharp edges, and electrical outlets all covered, and statues, lamps, and breakable objects removed. Oh, Blue only drinks organic whole milk.
She is the queen of pop, so it doesn’t come as a huge surprise that her Madgesty would have a fairly particular list of requirements for her dressing room and crew. For instance…
- She requires all furniture be removed from the rooms and replaced with her own pieces that she has shipped in.
- 20 international phone lines in the room as well as special white and pink roses that must have the stems cut to six inches.
- A personal chef, acupuncturist and an on-site dry-cleaner.
Mr Mathers once asked for a wooden pond to be built backstage for him and the filled with koi carp. For zen purposes I suppose?
Another famously eccentric entertainer, Prince insists that all food is wrapped in cling film and only he is allowed to unwrap it.
One of the quintessential millennium divas, Jenny from the block once asked for a white room, white flowers, white tables and tablecloths, white curtains, white candles, white sheets, white sofas, white lilies and White roses…It’s exhausting just reading it.
The New York rapper famously (and hilariously) demanded three boxes of magnum condoms and one gallon of Hennessey cognac for his dressing room. It must have been one hell of a party.
Words by Finlay Renwick