Compiled by Kasia Hastings
Terri-Leigh Finnegan, VIP Manager at Ministry of Sound and founder of Why So Serious, takes us through her top 10 clubs.
I have lived in London for 6 years and for 5 of those, worked at Ministry of Sound. A year ago, after graduating from University, I set up my own Luxury Fashion label ‘Why So Serious’ (Unit 65 Omega Works, Roach Road, Hackney Wick, E3 2PF, 020 8133 8308, whysoserious.co.uk) which bases its collections on culture and politics whilst giving money back to charity.
Both of these occupations unfortunately mean that I cannot get out as much as I would like to, however, the time I do get, I enjoy filling with brilliant club nights!
1. Ministry of Sound (103 Gaunt Street, Elephant and Castle, London, SE1 6DP, 020 7740 8608, ministryofsound.com)
A given right? I am of course bias, but to be fair, I have been in so many clubs in London including all the super clubs that have been and gone over the past couple of years and I don’t know anywhere that gives you an experience like Ministry. There is nowhere else with security as nice as ours, a sound system like ours, cleanliness like ours and customer service when you have an issue is something that is hard to come by. The Box is an incredible room built with a spring floor and the speakers facing the ‘G’ spot in the centre of the room so that the vibrations move through the floor and up and out of your body.
We also have one of the only successful ‘Clubbers VIP’s’ in London which is a brilliant middle point between stuffy west end clubs and night clubs. The room has the best views in the house of both main floors and headliners whilst offering bottle and table service and a huge range of premium spirits.
2. Berghain (Am Wriezener Bahnhof, 10243, Berlin, 0030 29 36 02 10, berghain.de)
Berghain. Incredible. Located in a former powerplant, Berghain is a short walk from the Ostbahnhof station and their ‘motto’ written on the wall outside is “Don’t forget to go home”. It is absolutely huge
3. Watergate (Falckensteinstr, 4910997, Berlin, 0030 612 80 394, water-gate.de)
4. Studio 80 (Rembrandtplein 17, 1017 CT, Amsterdam, 0031 20 521 8333, studio-80.nl)
5. Nightjar (129 City Road, London, EC1V 1JB, 02072534101, barnightjar.com)
6. Smokey Tails (119 Wallis Road, London, E95LN, Smokeytails.co.uk)
7. Big Chill (Dray Walk, Brick lane London, E16QL, 02073929180, wearebigchill.com)
8. Fabric (77a Charterhouse Street, London, EC1M 6HJ, 0207 336 8898, fabriclondon.com)
9. Corsica Studios (5 Farrell Court, Elephant & Castle, London, SE17 1LB, 020 7703 4760, corsicastudios.com)
It has my favourite DJ – Raymundo Rodriguez and just a brilliant crowd. There’s not many places you can find open after Ministry of Sound closes but this was a brilliant find!
10. XOYO (32-37 Cowper St, London EC2A 4AP, 020 7354 9993, xoyo.co.uk)
Benny Benassi will headline Ministry of Sound’s 23rd Birthday Party on Saturday 20th September