1. The invitation arrives in the post... Amazing! What a great excuse to buy a new dress!
2. You buy something approximately five months before the big day and praise the shopping gods that it was all so easy.
3. It's the week of the wedding, you take out the dress you bought and suddenly can't resist the urge to throw it across the room in a fit of hate. What were you thinking? You wouldn't wear that to a barn dance.
4. You go online... apparently shopping 24/7 and holding down a day job is possible. Who'd have thought?
5. You buy approximately 80% of the dresses online in the vague hope that something will work.
6. All the dresses arrive, they're all horrible.
7. Five days before the wedding: "It's really not that bad, I'll just wear something I've worn before. I'll save money and I'll still be happy." We call this: denial.
8. Four days before the wedding: "I can't believe I ever thought I'd be happy wearing something I've worn before! All my dresses are horrible. I hate all my clothes. I don't own ANYTHING wedding appropriate." Acceptance.
9. Three days before the wedding, you hit the shops and you hit them HARD, including window shopping in all the places you can't really afford. Looking can't hurt, can it?
10. And then comes all the worrying... What if I choose the same colour as the bridesmaids?
11. Is a maxi dress too bridal to wear to a wedding?
12. WHY ARE ALL THE DRESSES I LIKE WHITE?
13. This is a popular store, what if I'm wearing the same dress as somebody else?
14. Two days before the wedding, you go out and buy the expensive dress you spotted window shopping at the start of the week.
15. As you're handing over your card: "It's fine to spend the money if it's for my happiness, right? And I'll DEFINITELY wear it again to another wedding, so really the cost is justified."
16. You take the dress home and realise that you have no shoes that go with it.
17. Or bag.
18. The day before the wedding, you go out and buy a new pair of shoes and handbag to go with your pricey wedding guest outfit. What else could you have done? It was your only option.
19. The day of the wedding, you look at yourself and think, "Damn I look good."
20. The day after the wedding: "I really wish I hadn't bought that dress, (or those shoes, or that bag). I really can't afford to eat for the rest of the month."
21. And then... "Ooh a new wedding invite, I can't WAIT to buy a new dress!"
From the editors of Cosmopolitan.co.uk